How to Play 5-Line Bingo
Also known as Swedish bingo, 5-line bingo is an action-packed, fast-paced bingo variant that many bingo players enjoy as a way of freshen up their game after too many sessions in their standard bingo style.
5-line bingo is extremely straightforward and easy to understand, which is why it has become a favorite selection amongst newer players who are comfortable in a digital gaming environment.
Swedish Bingo Card Layout and Pattern
As in 75-ball bingo, a 5-line bingo card consists of a 5×5 grid pattern. The one difference between the two, is that on a 5-line card there is no free square in the middle the way that there is on a 75-ball card.
The word BINGO is displayed along the top of the card and each column of numbers is placed under a letter.
- The B column contains five random numbers ranging from 1 through 15.
- The I column contains five numbers ranging from 16 through 30.
- The N column contains five numbers ranging from 31 to 45.
- The G column contains five numbers ranging from 46 to 60.
- The O column contains five numbers ranging from 61 to 75.
How to Play?
The numbers 1 through 75 are used in a standard 5-line bingo game. In a live hall, a bingo caller will call each number one at a time until the winning card/s are identified. The same goes for an online bingo game, though the computer software will select the balls. During a game, each number will only be called out once.
When a number is called, locate it on your card and use your dabber to mark it. In an online game, you’ll likely have the option to have the computer auto-dab your numbers for you, or you can do it manually. Some players like to dab their own tickets when playing online because it creates more of an interactive feeling, but the choice is completely up to you.
In a live hall, there will be an electronic board or screen that displays what numbers have been called, which will assist you in keeping track of the balls in play. Online, many sites will have an area on the screen that show the last 4-6 numbers called.
How to Win?
In most 5-line bingo games there are five ways to form winning bingo cards and as such there can be as many as five winners per round. Here are the winning combinations:
- Single Line Win: First player to mark off one full line of numbers.
- Double Line Win: First player to mark off two full lines of numbers.
- Three Line Win: First player to mark off three full lines of numbers.
- Four Line Win: First player to mark off four full lines of numbers.
- Full House: First player to mark off all five lines of numbers.
Typically, most sites will allow for a completed horizontal, diagonal or vertical line to be counted as a winning bingo card. If you want to learn how to improve your chances of winning at bingo, you can read more at our bingo strategy guide.
The amount you can win is typically determined by how much the price of each ticket was and also by how many players are participating. The higher the price of a ticket and the more players that are involved in the game, the higher the prize money will be. Many halls and online providers will have guarantees attached to some of their games, which ensures that a designated minimum amount of prize money will be offered for winning bingo cards, regardless of how many players are in the game.
5-line Tips and Strategy
- Know the Rules:- While 5-line bingo is played the same way almost universally, each hall and online provider has their own set of rules and ways of operating that you should know about. This way you don’t have to worry about doing something wrong or accidentally making a mistake that could cost you prize money.
- Watch for Special Promotions:- Every bingo provider has unique games and promotions that they run. Participating in these games are a good use of your buy-in money as whatever the promotion is, chances are you’re getting a higher value when compared to a standard bingo round. Some places will offer a buy one/get one special where for every ticket you purchase, a free one will be added. Save your money for these games, especially if they offer a guaranteed minimum prize pool, and you’ll be stretching your bingo money wisely.
- Don’t Play During Peak Hours:- When it comes to bingo odds, the math is simple. The more players you’re playing against, the harder it’s going to be to win. Instead, try to adjust your schedule so that you can focus on playing during off-peak hours. This is possible both in a live and online setting, as all you have to do is a little research to find out what games/start times attract the most players and then avoid those games. This is a quick and easy way to maximize your odds with winning bingo cards.
- Play in Inexpensive Games:- If you’re playing on a tight budget, you can always find bingo games from your preferred provider with lower-priced cards. By playing in these games, you can increase the number of total matches you can participate in, thus giving you more chances to win overall during your session.
- Play with Multiple Cards:- Another way to put the odds in your favor is to purchase multiple cards for each round, rather than playing on a single card. This can affect your budget, so take that in to consideration before buying too many cards for a round. In a live game, it takes a lot of concentration and fast reflexes to be able to play multiple cards at once, so only accept that challenge if you feel you can handle it. Online, simply select the option that will enable the computer to mark all of your cards for you.
- Combining Tips:- By putting a few of the above tips together, you can really put the odds on your side. Find games with low-priced cards that are taking place in off-peak hours. Then, if your budget allows, purchase multiple cards for those rounds. You’ve now given yourself about just as good a chance of winning bingo games as any experienced player could hope for.
Most importantly, don’t forget that bingo is ultimately about having fun, so find the 5-line games that you enjoy the most and you’ll never find yourself unhappy with a session.